Things to Know About Longmont
Longmont is a vibrant city located along the northern Front Range in Boulder and Weld counties. It encompasses about 30 square miles. Longmont is popular with outdoor enthusiasts because of it’s more than 300 days of sunshine, more than 1,500 acres of parks and open space, and a spectacular vista of the Rocky Mountains Longmont. Longmont sits at an elevation of 4,979 feet above sea level. Longmont is home to over 97,000 residents, as well as, several high-tech companies and a vibrant restaurant scene. It is conveniently located 37 miles from Denver, 16 miles from Boulder and 30 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park.
You Belong in Longmont
10 Things to Know About Longmont
- Longmont named one of the “Best Places to Live” in 2006 and 2008 byCNN/Money Magazine and in 2014 by 24/7 Wall St.
- Longmont named an “All-America City in 2006 and 2018.
- Longmont has won multiple awards for its civic leadership.
- Visit Longmont! is the Longmont Area Visitor’s Association website and can help with travel plans.
- According to the Software & Information Industry Association, the Boulder/Longmont area has the highest concentration of software-related jobs in the nation.
- Longmont is located within Boulder County. Compared with the other cities in the county, Longmont has the highest number of people who both live and work in the city.
- Astronaut Vance Brand was born in Longmont, and graduated from Longmont High School. Longmont’s Vance Brand municipal airport is named after him.
- The first store to carry the JCPenney name was located in Longmont.
- An expedition, headed by Major Stephen H. Long, explored the area’s St. Vrain River valley in 1820. The word “Longmont” is a combination of his name and “mont” from the French word for mountain.
- The City of Longmont was founded in 1871 by members of the Chicago-Colorado Colony who settled in the valley. For more information on the history of Longmont, see the Historic Longmont page or visit the Longmont Museum and Cultural Center.
Quick Facts about Longmont
Population – 2019: 97,261
Median Age: 34
Median Household Income: $57,142
Licensed Businesses: 3,456
Average Cost of Single Family Home: $482,850
Incorporated Square Miles: 30
Acres of Parks and Open Space: 2,500
Operating Budget – 2020: $353,906,708
School Districts: St. Vrain Valley School District
Town of Property Tax Mill Levies for 2019: 13.42
Top Private Employer: Seagate (1,430)
Top Public Employer: St. Vrain Valley School Dist. (3,543)